Andrew Lawson is a 2-D artist that resides in Midland and Lubbock, Texas. Currently Andrew is a Masters in Fine Art student at Texas Tech University studying printmaking. Working mainly in printmaking mediums, Andrew is drawn to the various processes it presents. Often combining these methods, Andrew works in intaglio, screen printing, lithography and monotype printmaking processes. At first glance, Andrew's work seems dark in subject matter but with further inspection the whimsical undertones come forward. Using a loose, illustrative drawing style, Andrew is able to give whimsical portrayals to more serious subject matters in his work. When not creating art, Andrew enjoys making music, cooking, reading and woodworking.
The concept of my work revolves around social commentary related to globalization and the assimilation of societal aspects. Depicting my subject matter in dystopic settings, I hope to pose questions related to dystopic or utopic outcomes associated with current trends in our society. As old, nostalgic ways of living clash against the progress of modernity, I hope to engage the viewer in seeing two juxtaposing forces which influence a grand narrative across the larger body of my work. I oftentimes use the gas mask to represent how identity can be lost and confused in this globalized world.
- Unexpected Narratives: Explorations in Photography and Printmaking - Remarque Gallery - Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Texas National - SFA Galleries - Nacogdoches, Texas
- After Dark 8 - Greg Moon Art Gallery - Taos, New Mexico
- 2019 Atlanta Print Biennial - Kai Lin Art Gallery - Atlanta, Georgia
- New Contemporary: High Art, Low Art, and everything in between -
Keep Contemporary Gallery - Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Innovation in Printmaking - Cade Art Gallery - Arnold, Maryland
- Freedom of Expression - Webster Arts Center - St. Louis, Missouri
- A Generous Kingdom III - Verum Ultimum Art Gallery, Portland, Oregon
- Impression: A National Printmaking Exhibition - d'Art Center - Norfolk, Virginia
- Impressed 2018: Behind the Hedges: Greoup Printmaking Show - Art Gym, Denver Colorado
- Impressions: Nationally Juried Printmaking Exhibition - Montgomery College, Rockville Maryland
- After Dark 6 - Greg Moon Art Gallery - Taos, New Mexico
- Art by Brad King and Andrew Lawson - Kamiposi Gallery, Midland, Texas